Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Rain! ...And other not so happy stuff...

It has been months! Woke up yesterday morning to a clean desert, the smell of sage permeated the air! Those are the kinds of rains I like; you go to bed, and when you wake up the rain has come, done its job and left behind a renewed landscape. And you don't have to walk in the rain to get to your vehicle! These types of rains are few and far between, but it happened again this morning! I love it! If Mother Nature would do this every night, I would think I had gone to heaven! I enjoyed the sweet smell of washed sage all the way to work! Of course to all good there is the bad to level it out, there were three tornadoes spotted yesterday through central Nevada I believe in Churchill County, none touched down, but the flooding that comes with these spurts of heavy rain and hail can sometimes be destructive. Then there is the lighting, we had a couple fires start yesterday, but the rain took care of them for the most part.

On another note, my central air/heat system is outta whack. The coil is plugged with bug dust (not sure if anyone outside of Nevada knows what that is :) and it will cost us about $700 to get a new one installed. Yesterday it was 85 degrees in my house at 6:00 PM, trust me, it didn't make for a comfortable nights sleep, well, a nights tossing and turning and sweating, not sleep.

I don't think I mentioned to my blog-hood that I no longer have horses. Actually, I know I didn't. It has been pretty painful, but necessary. Since Tad has been gone, my heart just hasn't been in it and the horses have suffered for that. I found a great home for them, Nina gets an apple every day and Jenny gets to eat to her hearts content, not that she didn't before, but she hasn't suffered for the move :)
As the horses left, I stood in my driveway and cried like I haven't since we lost Tad. Kevin, my 18 year old, came out and hugged me till I stopped. But, the horses and I are much happier this way, I don't have to feel guilty about not working with them and they aren't rotting away in their pens.
It may sound silly, but I think this is all a part of my moving on, and as a continuation of that, yesterday I sold all my horse panels and a couple water troughs. We are going to go buy sheep-friendly troughs and other equipment that we have been needing.

The scarf is almost done, I have all the panels done up, but I am out of yarn and I still have to do the border and the fringe. I guess I am going to have to try to duplicate (HA!) that dye job (HA!) which shouldn't be too hard (HA!).... yeah, so I'm trying to fool my self into believing I can do it again, we all have delusions, I choose this as my most recent one. I should be able to get it done this weekend and we shall see, yes we shall...... Pictures to come!

Speaking of this weekend, Jari is going to show Angel, the hampshire ewe (so dubbed by the next door neighbors granddaughter) at the FFA/4-H show and sale in Elko on Friday! She is pretty jazzed about it, Angel is a good looking ewe but Jari has never been to this show before and we aren't sure what to expect. Please keep her in your thoughts and cross your fingers for her. I think she is going to do great!

5 comments:

Laura said...

So, don't try to duplicate it... Make up a yarn that's the same weight and dye it one of the colors and make it a design element (do it like you meant it to come out that way!!).

Tell Jari that I'll be thinking about her.

Sharon said...

Wow Becky, that was a huge ginormous step for you - how wrenching. I hope this will help you to heal. There's a big lump in my throat

Mim said...

Go Jari she has such a special ewe. Angel looks like a winner to me!

Michelle said...

Oh Becky, I had no idea about the horses, except that I hadn't heard anything about them for awhile. Did Tad ride with you? Like Sharon, I hope this ends up being a positive step. Sounds like it is already; we don't need things hanging around that make us feel guilty.

~~Sittin.n.Spinnin said...

He loved the horses, and although he didn't ride often, he did spend a lot of time with them. I am one of those people who dont take animals on lightly; once I decide to feed them, I'm theirs for life. If something happens and I have to give one up, it is heart wrenching. I huminize them too much though, that makes it tougher.