Wednesday, March 5, 2008

LAMBS!!!!!

Well, now I cant surprise anyone can I...

I got home from work and asked my daughter if she had checked on the sheep, she said "Yes". I asked her again, are you sure you checked on the sheep? She said "Yes". So I called her a fibber and then she tells me "Well, we [her ride home from school] drove by the pen slow" with a grin on her face. So after I got DH up for work (night shift) I went out and lo and behold! This is what I found Scarlet is a California Red/Suffolk cross (the ewe that started it all!), her new ewe lamb was named by a friends daughter, her name is Jessie. Jessie had a brother, but he didn't make it.

I am thinking that they were born sometime this morning. I didn't get to look at the other lamb, but Jari said she thinks the umbilical cord didn't break. Not sure what that means to the lamb but what ever it was, we are glad to have one live lamb out of Scarlett as this is her first live birth in the last three years. If she weren't Jari's first ewe, she would have been gone after her reabsorbtion last year, but as it is, this was her last chance.

Jessie weighed in at 7 lbs and is doing great so far!

No comments: