Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Fine Lines, Adding Injury to Injustice, Fatty-Fatty...

Meet George! This was the 17lb'er we had last spring, he hasn't grown much but his wool is wonderful! :)

George lost his manhood last Wednesday, so while he was in recovery, being the opportunist that I am, I snatched a lock of wool. George is tunis/corrie and has very, very soft, crimpy fleece. I am anxious now for shearing in April!

On the Wheel
I decided to do something different. Normally, I spin a bobbin full, put it off onto the ball winder and either ply it back on itself or Navajo ply it. I grabbed the merino I bought from Terry Mendenhall last year and sent off to Morro Fleece Works to pin draft and started spinning a very, very fine single so I can finish with a three ply lace weight. When I say fine, I mean really fine! Just hoping it all holds together to be plied. I'm on the third bobbin.



And a close up...
I found a scarf patern in Interweave Crochet magazine that calls for lace weight merino, so I decided to make my own :)

Baby Bumbs
Everybody is talking about baby bumbs, so I thought I would share mine...


Vanilla (Tunis)

Babs (suffolk/dorset), Tweedle in the back ground (Tunis)

Honey (Tunis)
Honey is always this big, I have sworn every year that she was going to have triplets, only for her to have twins or a single. Her only lamb last year weighed 14lbs. Hoping she twins this year. This is my favorite ewe, I love they way she is built, long bodied and fairly short legged.

8 comments:

Michelle said...

Those sheep don't have baby bumps - they look huge! When are they due? Your spinning, as always, is wonderful. How is the rest of life?

Sharon said...

Your sheepies are purty. Becky, you always spin sewing thread and it always looks awesome to me. Job????

Mim said...

Gees Louise that yarn will be awesome! Good to see your sheep too!

Laura said...

I can't wait to see the finished product!! The yarn, as always, is beautiful.

I got my sheep fix over the weekend - I miss them, but not that badly!!

~~Sittin.n.Spinnin said...

Thanks for asking :)
Life is boring. I have time to spin three bobbins full of thread in three days LOL no job yet, still hunting!
I always breed the sheep to lamb in March, the weather is a bit better and we shear in April so if there is a break in the wool, it is very low.

Tina T-P said...

Hey, another crocheter!! Your blanket is beautiful even if the color did change -

Have you heard about Keep the Fleece - part of the International year of Natural Fibers. They hope to have teams croceting, knitting, weaving and felting scarves to put together one big enough to go around the White House. What a fun thing to be a part of. www.keepthefleece.org

Looks like you have a bunch of lambs on the way - here's hoping they are healthy and full of life. (do Tunis lambs do the running thing that Shetland lambs do?) T.

Dori Ann said...

The yarn is perfect!!! Love the color. The sheep are so cute, can't wait to see babies!!
You spin so nicely, it really looks great!

June said...

Oh wow Becky! You spin so wonderfully, it makes me jealous! I love the sheep photos and I would love to get my hands into your sheepy's coats!!!

Can't wait to see the lace scarf!