Thursday, April 26, 2012

Old Dog, New Trick

As you all know, I'm the group mom of Raw Wool Lovers, Unite! on Ravelry. Someone recently started a discussion about how to make a braid out of roving, and we ended up talking about how to make roving!
Someone posted a link to the video, Drawing Roving from a Drum Card, and I do believe it will change the way I process wool from my drum carder. 

Meet Peter! ...or is it Charlie... oh well, it was one of them! Peter (or Charlie) is a Bond Corriedale from Gleason Fine Woolies.
Carder and diz, or as Linda Lou called it, a pseudo diz! I had this perfect little rounded piece of clear plastic, I have no idea what it was, but I kept it with the thought that if I ever wanted to use a diz it would be perfect for it! Of course, I cant find it now. So I made this one. It is the lid off of a bottle of Vitamin Water. It works great! This was my first go with it, for some reason what I was pulling was splitting off at half the depth of the carded wool, but subsequently I was able to pull it off to its depth and go from one side to the other to end up with one long strip of carded roving.

How cool is that??


Sorry about the picture quality in the last two pics, the camera on my phone is not working as well as it has in the past, but you can take my word for it, this is gorgeous fiber!

2 comments:

Jody said...

Oh boy I do love that Bond! I have some champagne coloured Bond in my stash from Joanne (what a surprise eh hehe).
I really should use my Supercard once in a while...I think I have used it twice since I got it last year!

Fiber Floozie said...

Thanks for sharing the video on drawing roving from a drum carder. I have one I don't used very much but it's on this summers list to use more.
Looks like you've been having fun.
Heidi