Monday, March 17, 2014

Spring!

I was going to write about my adventures in learning to can last fall, but I've got a surprise coming in a few days, and it will go right along with that.

I've decided, for the first time in a very long time, to plant a garden. Right now, it is nothing but dirt, horse poop, and some weeds. Oh, and a row of garlic that I'm hoping the rabbits will not be attracted to before I get it fenced. The garlic row is to the right in the picture...
 My chicken coop is at the top, and the pen to the top left is the pig pen (will hopefully have some pigs in it soon!)
Here is a close up of my garlic, from a few days ago, at the time I took the picture, there were only these two, now most of them are up, along about a ten foot row. Mimi from Desert Peach shared some of her crop with me, said it was wild garlic from up in Washington, off a reservation. Can't wait to see what it does!


On Thursday, I'm going to rent a tiller, and get this all tilled up, then we'll fence it with chicken wire. I have a HUGE population of rabbits here

If I didn't know better, I'd think I had a goose out there...
 
 My girls took a vacation, they've just gotten back into the swing of things in the last month. I was almost 3 months without my fresh eggs... although I did find an alternate supply :)

I think I might have been a little too anxious for spring; these are already getting their secondary leaves, I could be wading through zucchini vines before long. The tray on the left is all pickling cukes, the right tray is green zucchini, and yellow crookneck. The crookneck hasn't come up yet, not sure why.


.

1 comment:

Sharon said...

I'm so jealous. We have only been successful with potatoes, garlic and kale. Looking good!